Tuesday 2 April 2013

Velveteen by Daniel Marks


Published: October 9 2012
Pages: 464

Let me just start off saying that I am incredibly thankful that I was able to read this book, I LOVED IT! From beginning to end, I stayed up all night reading it, could not put it down. Once I have read a book I don't typically read any reviews on it until I have written my own as I don't want anyone else's opinion in my head at all, however, for some reason with this one I did read some, and I was surprised at what I read in some of them. I know everyone has their own opinion and that is awesome, but I thought I would do this review a little differently and put in some of what I read on other reviews, and what I thought about it.

So it sounds like some people were looking for more "grit and gore", but for me it was perfect, I am not a fan of horror at all, I can never sleep after for days! But Daniel gave me just enough of the creep factor that I cringed a few times while reading it, but I was still able to sleep and not dream about Bonesaw and what he could possibly do to me. The other thing I noticed is some were not happy with the take that he had on purgatory because it did not seem "realistic" enough, to me that just does not sound right as who really knows what purgatory looks like, or how it is operated? I love when an author will take something that we think we know about and twist it and make me believe that it could totally be something different.

I have heard a lot of other bloggers talk lately about how some books in the YA section are getting "watered down" because it seems to be the same story over and over, or at least the same kind of plot line, and I  am so happy to say that this is not the case in Velveteen by any means. I love Velvet, and I think I would want to be just like her if I were in the same situation, she was kidnapped and murderer by the psycho named Bonesaw, and instead of going fully to "the other side" she gets stuck in purgatory, and rather than feel sorry for herself, she seeks revenge on Bonesaw any way that she can. She crosses back and forth between our world and purgatory and terrorises him as much as she can, and I would have to say that these were some of my favourite parts to read because it is hilarious what she does.

I also loved meeting all the other characters in the book, even the ones that annoyed me to no end, they each brought something to the book to give it colour for sure. I think that is what a book should have, when you are reading, you want it to effect you and make you think and feel, and this book did all that for me. If you are looking for a book to give you the creeps but also a great story, this one is for you, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment